Licenses & Inspections

Jim Peet, Director
Phone: (215) 750-3800 x119
Email: Jim Peet

View More Contact Information

Page Tools

Middletown Township
Municipal Center

3 Municipal Way
Langhorne, PA 19047

Hours: 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM
Phone: (215) 750-3800
Fax: (215) 750-3801

Police Department

5 Municipal Way
Langhorne, PA 19047

Hours: 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM
Business Office: 215-750-3845
911 for Emergencies
(215) 949-1000 Non-Emergencies

Public Works Department

700 Veterans Highway
Levittown, PA 19056

Hours: 7:30 AM - 3:30 PM
Phone: (215) 943-2900

Tax Collector

Ray Chapman
2222 Trenton Road
Levittown, PA 19056

Phone: (215) 945-1777

View More Contact Information

Middletown Township Licenses and Inspections

Flood Protection Information

A few neighborhoods in Middletown Township suffered heavy flooding damage in both 1996 and 1999. The Township wishes to ensure that all residents and business owners who have suffered damage from these and other storms are informed about flood protection. The following information provides property owners with ideas of what they can do to protect themselves.

Township Flood Services: The first thing property owners should do is check their flood hazard risk. Flood maps and flood protection references are available free of charge at the Middletown Township Department of Licenses and Inspections located at the Municipal Center, 3 Municipal Way, Langhorne. Because your property is located in a flood plain or has experienced a flood, it is important that you review these sources of information and assistance. Township residents can also call 215-750-3800, extension 115, for more information.

Flood Insurance: If you don’t have flood insurance, talk to your insurance agent. Homeowner’s insurance policies do not cover damage from floods. However, you can purchase a separate flood insurance policy. Flood insurance typically covers all surface floods. This insurance is backed by the Federal Government and is available to everyone, even for properties that have already been flooded. Some people may have purchased flood insurance because a bank required it for a mortgage or home improvement loan. These policies generally cover the building structure but not the contents. Usually there is more damage to furniture and contents than there is to a structure. If you are covered, check out the policy and make sure you have contents coverage. Remember, even if the last flood missed you or you have done some flood proofing, the next flood could be worse.

Flood Protection: Flood protection can involve a variety of changes to your house and property -- changes that can vary in complexity and cost. You may be able to make some types of changes yourself. But complicated or large-scale changes and those that affect the structure of your house or its electrical wiring and plumbing should be carried out only by a professional contractor licensed to work in Middletown Township. One example of flood protection is adding a waterproof veneer to the exterior walls of your house. This is something that only a licensed contractor should do.

For more information, please see the “Homeowner’s Guide to Retrofitting: Six Ways to Protect Your House from Flooding.” June 1998 edition. This manual is available for review in the Middletown Township Licenses & Inspections Department or on the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) website at

Business owners may want to review “Non-Residential Floodproofing: Requirements and Certification for Buildings Located in Special Flood Hazard Areas.” April 1993 edition. Also, business owners may want to review FEMA’s main website at

What is a Building Permit?

A building permit is a license, which grants legal permission to start construction of a building project.

What Construction Projects Need Building Permits?

Building permits are typically required for the following:

  • New buildings
  • Additions
  • Fences
  • Renovations
  • Demolitions
  • Prefabricated structures
  • Temporary buildings
  • Mobile homes
  • Electrical systems
  • Plumbing systems
  • HVAC systems (heating, ventilating, air conditioning)
  • Miscellaneous residential (fireplace, pools, decks, etc.)
  • Miscellaneous commercial (parking, health, food handling, etc.)
  • Grading

In Bucks County, all earth distrubances of more than 1,000 square feet require a plan to be submitted to the Bucks County Conservation District for review and approval. Plans of less than 1,000 square feet only require that an erosion and sediment control plan is on site during the disturbance.

The Purpose of Permits.

Permits allow the enforcement of codes, which have been adopted as law by a state, county, township or city. No matter what the specific project may be, the enforcement of codes is carried out to protect the public health, safety and welfare. The unit of government which enforces the code is acting to assure safe construction.

The Use of Permits.

Code officials and inspectors use building permits as a vital step in their enforcement of codes. You have an investment in the home or business you are about to build or remodel. When that home or business structure does not comply with the codes, your investment could be reduced. Applying for a building permit notifies the Code Official that you are constructing or remodeling a building so he or she can ensure code compliance.

Why A Building Permit?

Building permits provide the means for Code Officials to protect us by reducing the potential hazards of unsafe construction and thereby ensuring the public health, safety and welfare. The building permit process helps us understand what local laws and ordinances . Before any construction or remodeling work begins, application for a permit should be made. Building permits provide the means for Code Officials to inspect construction to ensure that minimum standards are met and appropriate materials are used.

The Permit Process.

  1. Visit or Call your Local Code Official. The Code Official will ask "What are you planning to do?" and "Where are you planning to do it?" Then, the Code Official will explain the requirements (codes/ordinances) regarding your project. An application for a building permit will be given to you at this time. This initial contact will provide the resources and information you will need to make your project a success and avoid potential problems, which could cost you time and money.

  2. Submit Application. The permit application requires information about the construction project. You'll be asked to document "who" will perform the work, "what" work will be done, "where'' the work will be done, "when" the work will be done and "how" the work will be done. Sketches, drawings, plans or other documentation of the proposed work will have to be submitted for review. A fee will be collected at this time. The permit fee helps defray the cost of the Code Official's time spent in the application process, the review process, and the on-site inspection process. The fee also gives you access to the Code Official's knowledge and experience when and if you have any questions about your construction project.

  3. Wait During Review Process. The majority of permit applications are processed with little delay. The Code Official will determine if your project is in compliance with the construction codes, with the zoning ordinance, and with other municipal or state ordinances and statutes.

  4. Receive Results of Review Process. If compliance with the code, zoning ordinance and other applicable regulations is determined, the application is approved and a permit issued. If compliance is not determined, your application as submitted will be denied. If you are refused a building permit, you can correct the code violations or appeal the decision.

  5. Receive Permit. The building permit is the document granting legal permission to start construction. You must proceed as approved in the review process. Inspections required for your project will be indicated on the permit. Most building departments require you to post the building permit in a window or other prominent place at the construction site, keep a copy of the building plans at the site, and bring any proposed changes to the attention of the Code Official immediately. Changes will require a review and approval in the same manner as the original application.

  6. Arrange Inspection Visits. Each major phase of construction must be inspected by the Code Official to make certain the work conforms to the code, the building permit and the approved plan. The person responsible for the construction project must request each inspection. Normally, 24 to 48 hours advance notice is required. If an inspector finds that some work does not conform to approved plans, the inspector will advise (and possibly provide written notice) that the situation is to be remedied. If the violation is serious, a stop work order may be posted until the problem is resolved. Another inspection may be necessary before work is resumed.

  7. Receive Certificate of Occupancy. When code compliance is determined, the inspector issues a certificate of occupancy. This certificate is the formal document which marks the compltetion of your construction project and gives you permission to occupy your new or renovated building with the knowledge that it has met the safety standards in your community.